|Director of Engineering
Open from 06/21/2012 to 07/21/2012
This person is responsible for all day to day and long-term engineering management operations of a multi-channel affiliate, and master control operations for a national cable/satellite channel.
- Develops and maintains operating budget for Engineering and Production.
- Develop and administers capital expenditure plan for the entire station.
- Consults and Collaborates with Station Manager and VP/General Manager on long-term and short-term goals and objectives, and action plans. Executes these goals and objectives for news and the station to achieve desired results. Effectively communicates to staff how the foals and objectives affect them.
- Provide vision, leadership and direction in support of current and future technology initiatives in areas of Standard and High Definition for all aspects of the station.
- Identifies, analyzes and trouble shoots problems or issues that affect any technical area of operation for the station, at times under extreme tight deadlines and/or high pressure live environment. Provides viable solutions and communications clearly with departments.
- Ensure Station is, at all times, compliant with FCC, OSHA, Federal and State rules and regulations. Communicates these policies to entire staff for accurate procedures.
- Leads efforts and champions improvement solutions for studio, transmitter, and other engineering related needs.
- Provides direct supervision to Engineering Staff including:
- Develop current staff through training, evaluation and daily hands-on contact.
- Recruits, interviews and hires new employees, and consults with Station Manager on key personnel recruitment.
- Schedules staff for day to day operations, as well as, special events and broadcasts.
- Make employee disciplinary and termination decisions with consultation of Station Manager, VP/General Manager, Corporate Human Resources.
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively with News, Programming, Sales, Digital Media, as well as others.
- 24/7 on call.
- Performs other reasonable and relevant functions as requested and required.
- Minimum five years management experience in broadcast engineering and production in a medium or large market.
- Substantial experience with all aspects of broadcast engineering and production including; translators, transmitters, microwaves, and studio operations, maintenance, news production, remotes and overall technical operations of news broadcasts.
- Proven track record in development and execution of department budgets and capital budgets.
- Extensive knowledge in current local and wide area networking technologies as they apply to both business and broadcast applications.
- Microsoft server technologies: 2003 and later versions of Server, IIS, and Exchange
- Local area networking: Subnetting, VLAN, and high-demand high-capacity networks.
- Wide area networking: Trunking, various circuit technologies, routing, firewalls, remote access.
- Broadcast IT: Various storage platforms, fibre channel, video encoding frameworks and codecs.
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of the following Engineering and Production equipment:
- Avid Titan Automation
- Omneon Spectrum Servers
- Harris Nexio Server
- Rhozet Carbon Coder
- Final Cut Pro
- Avid Media Composer/Lanshare
- Editshare, Apace Servers
- IconStation, DekoCast, Deko Graphics
- P2, XDCam workflows
- Extensive knowledge and hands on experience in newscast engineering operations.
- Knowledge of Master Control best practices as they apply to network affiliate TV stations and a national cable/satellite networks in a multi-channel environment.
- Experience with high-power TV RF systems and planning including solid-state and tube transmitters, digital TV microwave, and analog and digital translators
- Knowledge of physical plant construction and systems required.
- Knowledge in current FCC and OSHA rules and regulations a must.
- Solid understanding of computers, software, networks and server technology.
- Clearly displays excellent leadership and team work skills.
- Excellent communication skills within the Engineering Department, and also critical in production, news and with other departments to achieve a teamwork environment.
- Understand the high demands and priorities for technical support of all news operations.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Engineering, Technology, Computer Science or related field required.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Be able to work under stressful conditions and in all types of weather.
- Able to work various hours when required.
- Ability to crawl, stop, bend,lift overhead and walk.
- Must have manual dexterity for keyboarding and manipulating controls and tools.
- Ability to work in tight spaces
- Work under tight deadlines.
- Must have good vision and hearing.
- Ability to communicate in English both verbally and in writing.
Contact Information: HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
4 Broadcast Plaza SW
Albuquerque, NM 87104
Fax: (505) 764-2522
No Telephone Calls Please
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Job posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER